Monday, August 25, 2008

Faith, Spirituality, and Religion

I always grew up thinking that faith, spirituality and religion meant the same thing. If you have faith, you must have spirituality and religion, how can you have one but not the others. I was raised Catholic, attended Parochial Schools, church every Sunday, received my all my sacraments, religion class everyday. The minute I moved out of my parents house and on my own I quit attending church, and soon lost my faith and spirituality. Religion was always forced on me and never taught to me, church is something I have never enjoyed. I knew once I got married I would start attending church again but to my amazement I married a person who does not believe in organized religion, but believes heavily in faith and spirituality. So then I told my self as soon as we have children we will go to church. Our children are baptized Catholic, mainly for the sake of my mother. We don't attend church on a regular basis now that we have children. I have struggled with this from the day our son was born, but never knew what to do about it, how could I leave my Catholic Religion in what I was raised, this is all I knew. Go against how I was raised, leave that special bond that my dad and I have, we were baptized Catholic at the same time, not that I remember I was only 3 months old.

I guess you could say I am lost, I am not sure about my faith, what I believe or how to go about teaching our children about our Heavenly Father. But over the last few weeks I have come to learn that our higher power, or as we see God himself not only happens in a church. This is where I am learning about my own spirituality, and faith in my higher power. So its taken me 14 years to come to the realization that it is okay to move on and choose what best works for me and our family. For the last few weeks we have been attending a non-denominational church and it is fun, and I enjoy going. Cameron loves going to the classes and learning about God, he is always asking when he gets to go back. On Sunday he will say are we going to your church mom or the one I like to go too.

1 comments:

grandpa jim said...

Nicely written and I understand your feelings.